#1 reason exercise plans fail and how to avoid it. Not only will you learn #1, but I’m also going to tell you the #2, and #3 reasons.
REASON #1- No planning….. I know it sounds really simple but life is busy and you just decided to add something else into the mix. Here is how to set yourself up for success.
- Decide exactly when….. Then put it on the calendar immediately. The 3 most common times are early morning, lunch break, and evening. Which one works best for you? Go put it on the calendar. Quick!
- Decide exactly where…. Don’t wait until it’s Sworkit time to scramble around searching for a good place to sworkit.
- Make a backup plan in advance…. People that do are more likely to successfully create a new exercise habit. When life gets in the way of your plan, be prepared with the answer to: “If I can’t Sworkit right now, then when?” and “If I can’t Sworkit here, there where?”
REASON #2- No accountability…. Studies show it’s much harder to make a new habit stick when you don’t have social support or there isn’t a consequence for quitting. Try one of these tactics.
- Make it public- put it out there to your friends. Join an online support community. Tell your significant other or a good friend who will call you out.
- Schedule a weekly check-in- Knowing someone is going to ask you about your progress motivates you to have something good to report.
- Bet on your success- Literally. You can do this with a good friend or a good charity. The bottom line is if you fail, you pay.
REASON #3- Too ambitious…too early- Somehow people got the idea that going from 0-100 real quick was a good idea. It isn’t.
- Start off with a small commitment- Something so small it would be silly to fail. Once you have stuck with it you can add onto it.
- Celebrate your streaks- Make a big deal about “haven’t missed a workout in 2 weeks”. It will become addictive over time.
- Do not compare- You are only competing against the previous version of yourself, no one else. You will be wise to remember that.
I wasn’t kidding when I said that we really want to see you succeed! Do the 3 things in this email and you will significantly increase your chances of success.